Are you someone who loves playing with skincare products? Or trying to step into the beauty industry? Are you considering applying for a master esthetician license or something else?
If your head is spinning and confused about becoming a master esthetician, you have come to the right place. This article will give you all the insight and details about the world of an esthetician and master esthetician. From learning how to get started to the different job opportunities, everything is here in this article.
To begin with, let’s discuss esthetics and estheticians.
Table of Contents:
- 1 Esthetics and Esthetician
- 2 Qualifications and Requirements for Master Esthetician License
- 3 Different Types of Training which Estheticians Learn in Cosmetology School
- 4 Career Options with a Master Esthetician License
- 5 What will you do as Master Esthetician?
- 6 Salary Range of a Master Esthetician
- 7 Wrapping up
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Related Reads:
Esthetics and Esthetician
Before diving to master esthetician license and more, we have to know what esthetics are.
Esthetics, simply put, is the study of beauty and skincare. An esthetician is a person who is an expert in skin care techniques. A master esthetician is someone who has additional training and specialization beyond the basic levels.
Qualifications and Requirements for Master Esthetician License
If you are a graduate of a cosmetology school, your next step in the beauty industry is to receive your license. Every US state has its own set of rules and regulations. Based on which state you reside in, you will need to prepare for the Esthetician State Board Exam. Many states like Virginia, Utah, and Oregon have both estheticians, and master esthetician license exams. They are known as “two-tier states”.
Before enrolling in any state cosmetology exam, make sure to check the eligibility. The amount of practice hours is very important to take into consideration before applying for the board exam.
An esthetician license is the most basic level of licensure to practice in a salon or spa. If you have a master esthetician license you can perform advanced skincare routines and techniques.
Apart from being able to perform more advanced skin care techniques, more high-income jobs will be available to you (who doesn’t want that!). Plus, with good certifications and training, you can work in high-end salons and spas.
If you currently reside in a state where they do not provide a master esthetician license, you can apply for specific treatment programs like Intense pulsed light (IPL). This will also boost your career to start with high-paying opportunities.
Different Types of Training which Estheticians Learn in Cosmetology School
If you are currently enrolled in cosmetology school, you will have both theoretical and practical knowledge about estheticians’ responsibilities. But to give you a brief idea, here is a list of areas where you will gain much of your knowledge :
- Different hair removal techniques
- Biochemistry- This will help you in understanding the various molecular knowledge
- Massage techniques in more advanced levels
- Increased knowledge of chemical peel methods
- The immunity system of the body
- Anatomy of the human body
- How different skin care is beneficial for human skin
- Learning about how to maintain hygiene and sanitization
- Different cosmetology and healthcare rules and regulations
- Therapeutic techniques
- The study of human tissue and function, etc.
This list is not an exhaustive list of what you will learn as a part of your syllabus. You will grow and learn in many more specialized areas— the choice is yours. These are just the basics that every master esthetician will learn about as a part of master esthetician training.
Career Options with a Master Esthetician License
You have received your master esthetician license after passing the Cosmetology Board Exam. Now the next question that will pop into your mind is exploring the career options available to you?
To help you in making a fast and easy decision, I have made a list of career options that you can choose with your license.
- You can work in a medical spa center as a skincare expert
- Working on cruise ships
- Most resorts these days have high-end spa and wellness centers, you can work as a skincare expert there
- Personal care stores
- With more specialization certificates, you can also work in a plastic surgeon’s office.
- Work in high-end spas and salons.
Now that you know different career options for estheticians available to you, allow me to explain some of the work you will be doing.
What will you do as Master Esthetician?
As you grow more experienced with more certifications and training your workload will increase. You will reach a certain point where you will be responsible to teach and train others. The roles and responsibilities vary with your job location and designation. But to start with, a master esthetician normally has these types of responsibilities:
- Offering routine and basic skin care services to your client
- Chemical peel techniques and tools usages. This can include chemicals or Jessner.
- If you work in a plastic surgeon’s office, you will be helping people to heal the after-effects of plastic surgery.
- Usage of laser technologies in removing body hairs
- Incorporating aromatherapy techniques to help clients with require cellular changes
- Help client’s skin in exfoliating, shedding, and other techniques
- Applying body wraps as seaweed and mud body wraps
- Working on the client with a deep massage service to improve blood circulation. This can include removing waste from human tissue through lymphatic massage treatment.
- As a master esthetician, you will also use radiofrequency therapies, intense pulse light, and others to help your client.
The aforementioned is not a set ist of work that a master esthetician does. Apart from these, there are many added responsibilities that an esthetician has to do depending on their job location.
Now that you have read about the career opportunities as a master esthetician and the responsibilities of being a master esthetician, aren’t you curious about the salary range?
I can say most of you reading this article are curious about the salary range of a master esthetician!
Salary Range of a Master Esthetician
The salary in the beauty industry is volatile. For most careers in esthetics, there is no specific salary. The salary depends on the field or location you will be working.
But to give you a brief idea, I will share the average salary range shared by ZipRecruiter.
The national average salary in the United States for a master esthetician is $42,291 in the financial year 2020 compared to the national salary for an esthetician in the year 2020, which was $36,683.
The cosmetology and beauty industry is a very dynamic field which has been growing rapidly over the past few years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the jobs are growing at a rate of 11% for estheticians over the past 3 years. With cosmetology, more people are entering this field increasing the job opportunities rapidly.
Though the world of beauty and cosmetology is ever-growing, to get started in the right direction you must have adequate knowledge. The first step is to learn about the eligibility requirements of applying for an esthetician license.
Once you have a license you are opening a wide array of opportunities for you to explore.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which states in the US provide a master esthetician license?
Every state in the US provides licenses for estheticians. But only a few states provide the license for master esthetician. The US states that provide master licenses are:
What qualities should one have to become a master esthetician?
A master esthetician license is someone who is skilled in advanced esthetician training. Apart from basic theoretical and practical knowledge, one should also have:
- Good communication skills
- Organization skills
- Business skills
- A friendly nature
- Ability to make sales
What are the best cities for a master esthetician career?
The best cities to get a job as a master esthetician in the US according to USN news are:
- Olympia, Washington
I’m an Esthetician working in the field for some years. Can I upgrade myself to a Master Esthetician?
Yes, of course, you can. Learning on the job is always encouraged. However, a license can be obtained only by appearing for an examination and securing the required pass marks in it. We suggest that you try our free practice test to assess your skills for such commitment. Our blog has more details on the type of tests and the states in which you would want to appear for these exams.