Preparing for the cosmetology state board exam? Are you looking for the appropriate attire for the exam? Not sure how to dress for your state board exam day?
We know that with all of the stress involved around preparing for your cosmetology exam, your outfit for exam day is the last thing on your mind. Exam day attire is often an overlooked part of the preparation process, but it’s super important to not get this wrong.
In this article, you will learn more about how to dress for your state board exam day and get more attire ideas for the exam day.
How To Dress For Your State Board Exam Day
The State Board has not set any mandatory rules stating that you should wear any one specific attire. However, when it comes to doing anything involving yourself and salon practices, you will want to make yourself “look the part”.
Which, in most cases, is black and/or black-and-white attire. Here are some examples of what you should consider when “looking the part”:
- Clean, polished shoes with no scuffs
- No Sandals
- No flip-flops – too noisy
- Black shoe strings
- No tennis shoes
- Tops MUST meet bottoms!
- Black tops and bottoms in good condition – clean, pressed, fit properly
- Black tops, not too low cut, may not be sleeveless
- Black bottoms, skirts or slacks, not too short or too tight
- No denim, not even black – fades too much
- Hose if worn must be black or neutral in color
- Socks must be black
- Be creative – add jewelry
- Avoid bulky sweaters, low-cut tops, spaghetti straps, tank tops, sloppy shirts
- Avoid very short skirt lengths, baggy hose,or hose with runs
- Repair lost buttons,torn seams,or hems out
- No bare midriffs
- Appropriate for daytime for women
- Color coordinated with skin tone
- Clean and filed
- Polish must be neat and not chipped
- Clean, dry, finished style combed into place
- No hats, baseball caps, headwear, headdresses, or scarves
- Hair accessories are okay – examples: styled hair pieces, decorations
Need help preparing for the state board exam? We’ve got you covered! Learn more about our state board exam review guides below.