Are you passionate about becoming a nail technician? Do you need guidance on the essential supplies nail technicians may need? Are you confused about the essential supplies you need to start your career as a nail technician? You have arrived at the right place. In this article, you will learn about the essential supplies you need to start your career as a nail technician.
Table of Contents:
- 1 The Role of Nail Technicians
- 2 The 18 Most Essential Nail Supplies for a Nail Technician
- 3 Wrapping Up
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Role of Nail Technicians
Nail technicians play a vital role in taking care of their client’s nails. Here are some roles of nail technicians:
- Trim, file, shape, clean, and polish the nails.
- Take care of the client’s cuticle, if required.
- Design and style nails per the client’s choice.
- Observe the client’s nails closely to check for infections before proceeding with any procedure.
- Keep the tools and equipment clean to avoid the spreading of infectious diseases.
- Offer good customer service.
- Applying nail polish and/or nail art.
- Offer nail care treatments.
- Offer hand and foot massage.
- Apply artificial nails, acrylic nails, and nail extensions.
The 18 Most Essential Nail Supplies for a Nail Technician
A part of being a nail technician means keeping track of your stock levels and ensuring the high quality of the products you use on your clients. While being a nail technician mostly involves skill development and proper training, it is also important to offer quality service. Offering quality service to your clients helps you to grow your clientele. Having the right tools and products can help you get the job done right. Here are some must-have nail supplies for a nail technician:
- NAIL FILES – There are many types of nail files and emery boards available in the market. Nail files are used on the free edge of the nail to create a smooth finish, while emery boards are used to give a smooth finish on the nail surface.
- NAIL CLIPPERS – Nail clippers are used to reduce the length of the nail quickly on both toenails and fingernails. Investing in a good nail clipper can last for years, meaning you only have to buy it only once.
- CUTICLE PUSHER – Cuticle pusher is used to push back the dead tissue from the nail to create a clean and neat look. It is one of the most important must-have nail prep tools for any nail technician.
- CUTICLE OIL – Cuticle oil is used to stimulate nail growth and improve circulation around the nails. It also helps in improving the health of the nail. Every manicure is finished by applying lotion, oil, or cream on the cuticle.
- NIPPERS – Nippers are used to cut away dead skin cells in the cuticle area. This is another must-have nail prep tool for any nail technician.
- BUFFERS – Buffers are used to prepare the nail for polishing by creating a smooth and even surface. It is important to invest in good, quality, long-lasting buffers that work well when you need it.
- ELECTRIC FILE – An Electric file is a nail file that is also known as an E-file. Electric files make the job easier when you have a lot of clients waiting for services.
- GLUE – Glue is another essential item that is used for attaching nails to a nail bed by using an acrylic dipping system. This is also used to attach nail art. Choosing a brush on glue will give you more control.
- BRUSHES – Brushes are used for the application of products. The type of brushes you need might vary depending on the work you do, but the essential set of brushes are: gel brushes, nail art brushes, and acrylic brushes.
- NAIL CLEANSER/ SANITISERS – Nail cleanser and sanitizers are another essential item that can help you ensure the safety of the client and the nail technician. Nail cleansers must be used on the client’s nails before you start the work, as well as on the non-disposable equipment.
- ACETONE/ACETONE ALTERNATIVES – Acetone is used to remove acrylic nails or gel nail polishes. Alternatives for acetone are soak solutions. Soak solutions are used to remove both ordinary and gel nail polishes.
- COTTON PADS/NAIL WIPES – Cotton pads and nail wipes are used to clean nails and remove tacky coatings on the nails.
- SOAK-OFF BOWL – Soak-off bowls are used to remove gel polish or nail enhancements. This is an essential item in manicure services.
- DISPLAYS/SWATCH STICKS – Displays or swatch sticks are plastic nail swatches used to display the designs and the range of colors the nail salon offers to the clients.
- DAPPEN DISHES – Dappen dishes are used to hold powders and glitters used for nail art, as well as other nail art items or liquids.
- A CUTICLE EXFOLIATOR – A cuticle exfoliator is used to gently remove dry and overgrown cuticles by eliminating the need to clip them off.
- REUSABLE NAIL FORMS – Nail forms are an essential part of acrylic, gel, and french manicures.
- UV/LED LAMPS – UV or LED nail lamps are used as nail dryers to offer a faster drying time.
Having the right equipment and tools can help you work more efficiently. Investing in good, quality products can save you more money in the long run. The essential supplies for a nail technician might vary a little, depending on the service you provide to your clients. Having these basic essential items in your kit can help get the job done right.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What equipment do I need to be a nail technician?
Some of the basic equipment required to be a nail technician are:
- Nail files.
- Nail scissors.
- Cuticle clippers.
- Nail polish.
- Polish remover.
What do new nail techs need?
Here are some of the supplies new nail technicians might need:
- Resin activator.
- Nail forms.
- Nail tips.
- Base and topcoats.
- Acrylic powders.
- Nail art supplies.
- Cuticle oil.
- Different types of nail polishes.
- A cuticle exfoliator.
What do I need to start doing acrylic nails?
To start a career as an acrylic nail artist, you will require the following products:
- Acrylic powder.
- Nail tips.
- Nail glue.
- Acrylic nail brushes.
- Nail file.
- A buffing block.
- A cuticle pusher.
- Dehydrator/Nail prep.
- Lint free wipes.
- Cuticle oil.
- Acrylic liquid.
- Top coat.
How do I become a successful nail technician?
Here are some tips to guide you in becoming a successful nail technician:
- Be passionate about becoming a nail technician.
- Be creative with nail designs and styles.
- Provide good customer service.
- Keep up-to-date knowledge of recent nail trends.
- Work patiently with your clients.
- Ask about your client’s preferences and give suggestions based on that.
How long does it take to become a good nail tech?
Most nail technician programs take an average time of 300 to 600 hours to complete. The length and start time varies depending on the course you choose, but you can complete the program anywhere around 3 to 9 months depending on your ability to attend school part time or full time.