Are you planning to move to Montana and start a career in cosmetology? Are you searching for where to find practice tests and the details of the exam process?
To ease all your worries we have written this article explaining the entire process of getting your Montana Cosmetology License. Not just the cosmetology license process, but you’ll also get details about Montana cosmetology license transfer and renewal.
Let us get into it.
Table of Contents:
- 1 Steps Involved in Montana State Cosmetology Exam
- 1.1 STEP 1: VERIFY YOUR ELIGIBILITY
- 1.2 STEP 2: APPLY FOR THE MONTANA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATION
- 1.3 STEP 3: PAY YOUR EXAM FEES
- 1.4 STEP 4: SCHEDULING YOUR EXAM
- 1.5 STEP 5: ON THE EXAMINATION DAY
- 1.6 STEP 6: TAKE THE EXAM
- 1.7 STEP 7: RECEIVE YOUR MONTANA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY LICENSE
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions about the Montana Cosmetology Exams
- 2.1 HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE MONTANA BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS?
- 2.2 I CAN’T MAKE THE DATE/TIME OF MY EXAMINATION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- 2.3 WHICH EXAMINATION PROGRAM DOES THE MONTANA BARBER AND COSMETOLOGY SERVICES LICENSING BOARD USE?
- 2.4 CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED HOURS?
- 2.5 HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
- 2.6 WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
- 2.7 CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE TEST EXAM?
- 2.8 HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
- 2.9 WHAT SCORES DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PORTIONS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
- 2.10 HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RETAKE THE STATE BOARD COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATION IF I FAIL?
- 2.11 WHAT DOCUMENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR AN ENDORSEMENT APPLICATION?
- 2.12 HOW DO I RENEW MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE IN MONTANA?
- 3 Montana State Cosmetology Exam Practice Test
Steps Involved in Montana State Cosmetology Exam
There are several steps to getting the Montana Cosmetology License. From checking your eligibility to registering, taking your exam, and getting your results, it all goes to getting your cosmetology license.
Now, let’s dive into the details of each step.
STEP 1: VERIFY YOUR ELIGIBILITY
To sit for any exam, you have to know whether you’re eligible for the exam or not. The initial step of the Montana Cosmetology State Board Exam process is the registration. The eligibility criteria for the Montana Cosmetology Exam was set by the Montana Boards of Cosmetologists and Barbers. To complete the registration process, you have to check the eligibility criteria.
The minimum practical hours required to be eligible to apply for the Montana State Board of Cosmetology and Barbering Exams are as follows:
- 1500 hours for Cosmetology.
- 1100 hours for Barbering.
- 650 hours for an Esthetician.
- 400 hours for a Manicurist.
STEP 2: APPLY FOR THE MONTANA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATION
Once you’re eligible for the Cosmetology State Exam, you can apply through the official DL Roope Administrations site. For the Montana State board Exam, DL Roope Administrations are the official administrator of the National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC) examinations.
For the In-State Montana Graduates
If you are a graduate from the State of Montana, you can receive a paper exam application directly from your respective school. If not, you can complete the online application through the official site of DL Roope.com. Your school will receive notification about your online application status once you apply for the exam.
You can apply for the practical exam once you have finished 90% of your course.
Out of State Candidates
If you have not completed your course in the State of Montana, you should apply online or print the out of state examination application at the DL Roope website. If approved, you will be issued a Verification of Eligibility form (VOE), which you will need to submit along with your exam application.
STEP 3: PAY YOUR EXAM FEES
Once you have successfully completed your application process, it is time for you to pay your fees. Before making the payment, please go through the points below:
- The exam fees are non-refundable and apply only for the scheduled exam.
- The exam fees hold a validity of 6 months from the date of receipt.
- If you miss your scheduled exam, your fees will be forfeited. Scheduling another exam will require another payment.
- Credit for any emergency on the date of examination will require written documentation to be submitted within 24 hours of the exam.
- If approved, your exam will be scheduled for the following week.
STEP 4: SCHEDULING YOUR EXAM
Now that you have paid your exam fees, let’s schedule your examination.
In order to schedule your exam, you need to register at the official website of DL Roope.
This page will require you to login. Enter your details and submit to register for the examination. Also, you can download the application and fill it out.
If you need to reschedule your examination, as stated earlier, you need to download the application form from the website and fill it out.
STEP 5: ON THE EXAMINATION DAY
After registering and scheduling the exam, you should make sure you take the required documents on the day of examination. Here is the list of documents that you need to take with you on examination day.
- A government approved photo identification card (Original, verified, and valid).
- The identification should contain your full and legal name that matches your application.
- The document must be in good condition.
Things to Note:
- Check and verify your admission letter, which you will receive based on your application.
- Your personal belongings will not be allowed into the examination hall.
- Follow the proper seating arrangement provided by the management.
- Your attire should be proper and professional.
- Refrain from using cologne or perfume in consideration of other candidates.
- Bringing mobile phones inside the examination hall is strictly prohibited.
Apart from these, you should be prepared for the examination by focusing on studying and reading up on the exam.
STEP 6: TAKE THE EXAM
Now you are ready to take the exam.
There are two exams that you will need to appear for.
- The Cosmetology Written Examination.
- The Practical Examination.
The practical exam is about 4 to 5 hours long. You can also take the written exam before the practical exam if you want. The duration of the written examination is around 90 minutes, and it is computer-based.
STEP 7: RECEIVE YOUR MONTANA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY LICENSE
Once you pass both of the examinations, you will receive your Montana State Board of Cosmetology license through mail.
If you need to renew your license, you should visit the official website of the Montana State Board of Cosmetology and fill out the renewal application form.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Montana Cosmetology Exams
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE MONTANA BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS?
You may apply for the Cosmetology exam on the official website of the Montana State Board of Cosmetology. You will have to fill out the application form and submit the documents and fees required to process your application further.
I CAN’T MAKE THE DATE/TIME OF MY EXAMINATION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
To reschedule or retake your exam, download the paper-based rescheduling application from the official website of DL Roope, or log into DL Roope to fill out an online application.
WHICH EXAMINATION PROGRAM DOES THE MONTANA BARBER AND COSMETOLOGY SERVICES LICENSING BOARD USE?
The Montana Barber and Cosmetology Services Licensing Board uses the National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC) to administer their Cosmetology exams.
CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED HOURS?
No. To apply for the Montana State Board of Cosmetology Exam, you first have to meet the eligibility criteria of completing the practical working hours set by the state.
HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
For the State Board of Cosmetology Exam in Montana, the duration of the written exam is 90 minutes.
WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
For the State Board of Cosmetology Exam in Montana, the written Cosmetology exam is a computer-based exam.
CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE TEST EXAM?
Yes, you can take some practice tests on the official website. You can also take our free cosmetology Practice Tests to help with your exam preparation.
HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
For the State Board of Cosmetology Exam in Montana, the duration of the practical exam is approximately 4-5 hours long.
WHAT SCORES DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PORTIONS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
The passing score is 75% or above for the State Board of Cosmetology in Montana.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RETAKE THE STATE BOARD COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATION IF I FAIL?
You may retake your Cosmetology exam any number of times. You can schedule your exam by logging into the official website of DL Roope.
WHAT DOCUMENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR AN ENDORSEMENT APPLICATION?
- Your completed application.
- Government-issued Identification – A passport, a military ID, or a valid driver’s license.
- A copy of your transcript.
- A copy of your marriage license (if applicable).
- Application and endorsement fees.
HOW DO I RENEW MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE IN MONTANA?
To renew your license, you can visit the official DL Roope website and fill out the form to start the renewal process.
Montana State Cosmetology Exam Practice Test
"*" indicates required fields