So you’re moving to Virginia and thinking of taking their state board exam for cosmetology, but you don’t know what to do.
This article has you covered on the Virginia State Cosmetology Exam and any questions you may have. By the end, you’ll know how and where to get started, and you’ll know everything required to begin a cosmetology career in the beautiful state of Virginia.
Go straight to the practice test
Table of Contents:
- 1 3 Steps: Registration, Exam, and License
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions about the Virginia State Board of Cosmetology Examinations
- 2.1 HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS?
- 2.2 I CAN’T MAKE THE DATE/TIME OF MY EXAMINATION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- 2.3 WHICH EXAMINATION PROGRAM DOES THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY USE?
- 2.4 HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TAKE THE VIRGINIA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS?
- 2.5 WHERE ARE EXAM CENTERS LOCATED?
- 2.6 HOW MANY HOURS OF PRACTICAL WORK DO I NEED TO QUALIFY FOR THE VIRGINIA STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS?
- 2.7 CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED PRACTICAL HOURS?
- 2.8 HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
- 2.9 WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
- 2.10 CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE TEST EXAM?
- 2.11 HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
- 2.12 WHAT’S THE FORMAT FOR THE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
- 2.13 WHAT SCORES DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PORTIONS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
- 2.14 HOW DO I TRANSFER MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE TO VIRGINIA?
- 3 Virginia Cosmetology State Board Exam Practice Test
3 Steps: Registration, Exam, and License
Every examination starts with registration. And as many of us find checking eligibility and submitting applications to be pretty tiresome tasks, I’ve laid out the steps to help you move through it with less hassle.
So let’s start with checking your eligibility for the exam.
Step 1: VERIFY YOUR ELIGIBILITY
The first step for any exam registration is checking your eligibility. You are eligible to get your license from the Virginia Cosmetology Board if you meet these requirements:
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Be licensed by an accredited cosmetology school in Virginia
- Completed a cosmetology school program from a Virginia Department of Education-approved school.
- Completed an apprenticeship program from a Virginia state-approved school/college.
You must also meet a minimum number of practical hours to take the State of Virginia Cosmetology Examinations :
- Cosmetology license: 1500 hours.
- Esthetician license: 600 hours.
- Master Esthetician license: 1200 hours.
- Nail Technician license: 150 hours.
- Barber license: 1500 hours.
- Cosmetology license: Cosmetology license with one year of student instruction experience.
- Permanent Makeup Artist: 1500 hours.
Step 2: APPLY FOR THE VIRGINIA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS
Once you are eligible, you may register for the examination.
To apply online, visit the official website at psiexams.com. You may read through the requirements regarding registration and a list of documents required for the exam.
The registration fees for the Virginia Cosmetology State Board are:
- Written examination: $75.
- Practical examination: $80.
- For both the practical and written papers combined: $155.
Step 3: SCHEDULE YOUR EXAM
Your practical exam schedule notification will arrive 10 days before the examination date. For the written exam, you will first receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) message, followed by a notification email one week before testing.
After you receive your ATT, you can schedule your exam through the Professional Service Industry at their official website or you can call them at +1800-733-9267.
You may schedule your exam with PSI 24 hours a day by phone because they have an automated response and scheduling system. PSI) officials are available Monday through Friday, between 7:30 A.M. and 8:00 P.M., and Saturday, between 11:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. EST.
The written test is a computer-based exam that is 90 minutes long. You may the exam on your personal computer.
Step 4: ON THE DAY OF THE EXAMINATION
On the day of the exam, be sure to bring all required documents, including your admission letter, for the Virginia Cosmetology State Board. You also need two forms of valid identification. One of your government-issued forms of ID needs to show your signature. You must present one primary form of ID and one secondary form of ID.
Forms of primary identification,
- US State-issued Driver’s License.
- US State-issued ID card.
- US Government-issued Passport.
- US Government-issued Military Identification Card.
- US Government-issued Alien Registration Card.
Forms of secondary identification,
- A signed credit card in your name.
- Any US state-issued birth certificate.
- Social security number.
Step 5: TAKE THE EXAM
After you register with the required documents, you must take the exam.
The Virginia Cosmetology written examination is a computer-based examination. The written exam is 90 minutes long. Be sure to arrive 30 minutes early on exam day to check your seating and ensure your attendance.
Step 6: GET YOUR RESULTS
You will receive an email notifying you of your results for the practical and written examinations. To pass the examination and obtain your Virginia cosmetology license, you will need to score a minimum of 75 points.
Step 7: RECEIVE YOUR COSMETOLOGY LICENSE
Once you pass your written and practical exams, you qualify to receive your Virginia Cosmetology License and will receive a notification of the license fee, which you must pay before you can receive your license.
When you email the completed application and pay the fee, you will receive your Virginia Cosmetology License within 30 business days.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Virginia State Board of Cosmetology Examinations
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS?
To apply for the Virginia Board of Cosmetology examination, follow these instructions:
- Visit the official site of Professional Credential Services (PCS).
- Create a new account with your username and password. Your first name has to fill in the form.
- Complete all the required documents, including the application form. Then upload the following documents: a 2” x 2” passport color photo, Social Security card, examination form, etc.
- Submit the examination agreement fee.
- Also, you will need to submit your social security number or VA DMV photo ID card.
I CAN’T MAKE THE DATE/TIME OF MY EXAMINATION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
A situation may arise when you cannot take your scheduled examination. Fortunately, you can reschedule for a fee.
However, if you can reschedule at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled exam, there will not be a fee. You can call the PSI at +1800 733-9267 or fax a note to (702) 932-2666 for canceling or rescheduling your exam.
WHICH EXAMINATION PROGRAM DOES THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY USE?
The National-Interstate Council (NIC) of State Boards of Cosmetology administers the exams in Virginia.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TAKE THE VIRGINIA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS?
For Written examination: $75; For Practical examination: $80; For both the practical and written papers combined: $155
WHERE ARE EXAM CENTERS LOCATED?
For your written examinations, you can schedule your examination centers at the following locations:
- VIRGINIA BEACH
For scheduling your practical examinations, you can choose from the following locations:
HOW MANY HOURS OF PRACTICAL WORK DO I NEED TO QUALIFY FOR THE VIRGINIA STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS?
To qualify for the Virginia State Board Examination you must have the minimum practical hours of experience as stated by the Virginia Cosmetology State Board.
- Cosmetology license: 1500 hours.
- Esthetician license: 600 hours.
- Master esthetician license: 1200 hours.
- Nail technician license: 150 hours.
- Barber license: 1500 hours.
- Cosmetology license: cosmetology license with one year of student instruction experience.
- Permanent makeup artist: 1500 hours.
CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED PRACTICAL HOURS?
No, you must complete the aforementioned practical hours for your specific specialization to be eligible for the Virginia cosmetology license examination.
HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
The written examination is 90 minutes long.
WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
The written examination is computer-based. The questions are multiple-choice. ). The Virginia Cosmetology State has a written exam for the subject of Business Management.
The core areas for Business Management are:
- Facility management
- Financial responsibility
- Employee earnings
- Profit & loss
CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE TEST EXAM?
Yes, if you want to familiarize yourself with questions taken from previous years, you can try our free cosmetology practice test. You can gain a better understanding of the questions that appear on the Virginia State Board exam. You can try our complete exam cheat sheet to get a detail understanding about the cosmetology exam.
HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
- The Virginia Cosmetology Practical Exam duration is approximately 4 hours.
- The barber practical exam is approximately 3 hours.
- The practical exam for nail technicians, electrologists, and estheticians is approximately 90 minutes.
WHAT’S THE FORMAT FOR THE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
The topics of the practical examination for the Virginia Cosmetology Board exam includes:
- Setting up and client protection preparation.
- Thermal curling.
- Chemical waving.
- Virgin hair lightening application & hair color retouching.
- Virgin relaxer application and relax retouching.
WHAT SCORES DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PORTIONS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
To get your cosmetology license from Virginia, you have to get at least a score of 75 on each of your written and practical examinations.
HOW DO I TRANSFER MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE TO VIRGINIA?
To transfer your cosmetology license from another state to Virginia, submit an endorsement application. Before filling out the application, check to confirm eligibility using these requirements:
- You must have a cosmetology license issued by another state.
- You should have completed the required number of training hours stated by the Virginia Cosmetology Board.
- You must have qualified for an equivalent examination.
The required number of training hours for filing an endorsement application are:
- Cosmetology license: 1500 hours
- Barber license: 1100 hours
- Nail technician license: 150 hours
- Esthetician license: 600 hours
- Permanent cosmetic tattoo license: NA.
Virginia Cosmetology State Board Exam Practice Test
"*" indicates required fields