Are you preparing for the Wisconsin cosmetology state board exam or planning to shift to Wisconsin and get licensure from the Cosmetology State Board? I wrote this article to make your cosmetology exam process hassle-free.
Checking eligibility to appear in the exam can be a daunting process, but to make it easier for you, I broke down the steps.
Understanding them will help you know what will appear on the cosmetology exam.
Go straight to the practice test
Table of Contents:
- 1 Registration, Exam, and License
- 1.1 STEP 1: Verify your Eligibility
- 1.2 STEP 2: APPLY FOR THE WISCONSIN STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS
- 1.3 STEP 3: PAY YOUR EXAM FEES
- 1.4 STEP 4: SCHEDULING YOUR EXAM
- 1.5 STEP 5: ON THE EXAMINATION DAY
- 1.6 STEP 6: TAKE THE EXAM
- 1.7 STEP 7: RESULT ANALYSIS
- 1.8 STEP 8: RECEIVE YOUR WISCONSIN STATE BOARD COSMETOLOGY LICENSE
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions About the Wisconsin Cosmetology Exams
- 2.1 HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE WISCONSIN BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS?
- 2.2 I CAN’T MAKE THE DATE OR TIME OF MY EXAMINATION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- 2.3 WHICH EXAMINATION PROGRAM DOES THE WISCONSIN BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY USE?
- 2.4 HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TAKE THE WISCONSIN STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS?
- 2.5 HOW MANY HOURS OF PRACTICAL WORK DO I NEED TO QUALIFY FOR THE WISCONSIN STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS?
- 2.6 CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED HOURS?
- 2.7 HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
- 2.8 WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
- 2.9 CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE TEST EXAM?
- 2.10 HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
- 2.11 WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
- 2.12 WHAT SCORES DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PORTIONS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
- 2.13 HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RETAKE THE STATE BOARD COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS IF I FAIL?
- 2.14 HOW DO I TRANSFER MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE TO WISCONSIN?
- 2.15 HOW DO I RENEW MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE IN WASHINGTON?
- 2.16 How do I prepare for the Wisconsin Cosmetology Exam?
- 3 Wisconsin Cosmetology State Board Exam Practice Test
- 4 Get your results!
Registration, Exam, and License
Checking your eligibility before the exam is the first step. You will appear in the examination if you are eligible and after confirming your eligibility, you must register.
STEP 1: Verify your Eligibility
To be eligible for seating in the Wisconsin Cosmetology State Board you must have:
- A degree from a state-approved cosmetology school.
- Have a cosmetology, barbering, or esthetician license from another state.
You must also have completed a set of practical hours to earn a seat for the cosmetology exam. According to the 2017 Wisconsin Board of Cosmetology License policy, the required practical hours are:
- Cosmetology: 1550 hours
- Barber: 1000 hours
- Esthetician: 450 hours
- Nail Technician: 300 hours
- Electrologist: 450 hours
- Permanent makeup artist: To be stated from the Health services department.
- Cosmetology instructor: cosmetology license along with 2000 hours of work experience.
- Massage therapist: 600 hours
STEP 2: APPLY FOR THE WISCONSIN STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS
Once you have checked your eligibility, you are ready to register for the exam. For online registration, visit D.L Roope’s official website.
Once you successfully register, your application will pass to your graduate school. The payment for the application is $10, and payments through credit and debit cards are accepted.
Your applications are sent to the D.L. Roope system for final registration after it is reviewed and approved by your school. You will receive an email of approval after your application is completed, and you can schedule your exam.
If your application contains errors, a member of the D.L Roope staff will contact you to discuss the mistakes in your application.
STEP 3: PAY YOUR EXAM FEES
For successful registration, you must submit the examination fees and they are non-refundable. The fees for the Wisconsin Cosmetology Exam are:
- For cosmetology practical exam: $177.00
- For cosmetology written exam: $137.00
- Registration fees: $20.00
STEP 4: SCHEDULING YOUR EXAM
Once you submit your application successfully to the D.L Roope website, you will get an email confirmation from Iso Quality Testing (IQT) and you will get the details for scheduling your exam.
You can schedule your written exam after receiving the schedule of your practical exam. This can help you avoid scheduling your written exam on the same day as your practical exam.
The written exam should be scheduled within six months of receiving the approval email. The scheduling portal will show the availability of seats for the next 30 days.
STEP 5: ON THE EXAMINATION DAY
On the day of the exam, the registration will start 30 minutes before the start of the exam. For early registration, you may arrive at the examination center early. You must carry the following documents with you:
- Your admission letter for the Wisconsin cosmetology license exam.
- A valid Govt. issued photo identification or certificate. This can include a current state-issued driver’s license or identification card. Other accepted identification include military identification, passport, or voter’s card.
- The identification card should carry both your signature and photo.
If you want to make any change in the application or admission letter, you must inform D.L. Roope prior to the exam day. To make any changes in your admission letter, email [email protected]
If you cannot arrive on time or arrive late at the examination center, you may reschedule for a fee.
STEP 6: TAKE THE EXAM
The NIC cosmetologist exam comprises two sections:
- The written NIC cosmetology exam (this will also include 10 WI state law questions). This section is 90 minutes long.
- The practical NIC cosmetology exam. This section is four to five hours long.
STEP 7: RESULT ANALYSIS
You may download the result from the official website of D.L. Roope. You will automatically receive a notification once the results are available.
To access your Wisconsin cosmetology license, you must have your date of birth and your candidate number.
You can download your results two weeks after their publication. Your results will be directly sent to the Wisconsin Cosmetology Board.
STEP 8: RECEIVE YOUR WISCONSIN STATE BOARD COSMETOLOGY LICENSE
After you qualify for your practical and theory examination, you receive your cosmetology license.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Wisconsin Cosmetology Exams
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE WISCONSIN BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS?
The first step for you to appear in the cosmetology exam is to check your eligibility. Once you know you are eligible for both the practical and the theory exam, you can apply online on the official website with the link here.
If you are a cosmetology school graduate, your school will accept your online application through your school portal.
I CAN’T MAKE THE DATE OR TIME OF MY EXAMINATION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
If you cannot make it to the examination center, you can reschedule your exam, but you have to pay rescheduling fees along with your rescheduling application.
If you are unable to attend the exam due to an emergency, you must submit supporting documentation. Acceptable rescheduling circumstances include:
- Getting involved in a car accident on your way to the examination center.
- A death in your family.
- A medical emergency.
You have to fax all the supporting documents within 24 hours to the exam administrative number 207-848-5511.
WHICH EXAMINATION PROGRAM DOES THE WISCONSIN BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY USE?
The state of Wisconsin uses the National-Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC). The NIC is responsible for administering all the exams in Wisconsin.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TAKE THE WISCONSIN STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS?
The Wisconsin State Board of Cosmetology exam will cost you:
- For cosmetology practical exam: $177.0
- For cosmetology written exam: $137.00
- Registration fees: $20.00
HOW MANY HOURS OF PRACTICAL WORK DO I NEED TO QUALIFY FOR THE WISCONSIN STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS?
If you want a cosmetology license in Wisconsin, you must have the following hours of practical work experience:
- Barber: 1000 hours.
- Esthetician: 450 hours.
- Nail Technician: 300 hours.
- Electrologist: 450 hours.
CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMINATIONS BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED HOURS?
No, you can only apply for the Wisconsin Cosmetology Exam if you have completed the required hours of practical work in your respective specialization.
HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
The Wisconsin cosmetology written exam is 90 minutes long.
WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION?
The format of the written exam is multiple-choice. You will take the exam on a computer. For the theory paper, you may choose between different languages but the Wisconsin State Law questions are in English.
CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE TEST EXAM?
Yes, to make your final exam smooth and easier we have prepared a set of cosmetology practice test papers sets. This will help you have an overall idea of the questions coming in the cosmetology theory exam.
HOW LONG IS THE COSMETOLOGY PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
The NIC cosmetology practical exam duration is approximately four to five hours. This includes the time for client preparation before every set.
WHAT’S THE FORMAT OF THE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION?
The practical examination is four to five hours. The practical exam consists of the following core domains:
- The setting of your work area and client preparation with the required supplies.
- Thermal curling.
- The second round of work area setting and client preparation.
- Chemical waving.
- Strand test with the stimulated product and predisposition test.
- Virgin application with stimulated products, and highlighting with foil.
- Blood exposure procedures.
- Hair removal procedures by tweezing, and soft waxing.
- Nail polish application along with manicure.
WHAT SCORES DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PORTIONS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
You must get a score of 75.00 in both written and practical examinations to pass the Wisconsin Cosmetology exam. Candidates must pass the individual papers to qualify for the examination. If you do not pass either of the papers, you must retake the examination.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RETAKE THE STATE BOARD COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATIONS IF I FAIL?
In Wisconsin, you can take the cosmetology exam as many times as needed until you pass. Each time you apply for the cosmetology exam, you have to submit the application with a rescheduling fee.
HOW DO I TRANSFER MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE TO WISCONSIN?
If you are from another US state and wish to transfer your cosmetology license to Wisconsin, you have to be aware of some requirements.
- You must have 4000 hours of licensed practical experience.
- If you fulfill the above requirements, you can proceed further to apply for a licensure transfer application.
- If you do not have the required practical hours, you must take the Wisconsin licensure examination. You must schedule an appointment regarding the examination with the Department’s contracted vendor of D.L. Roope.
HOW DO I RENEW MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE IN WASHINGTON?
The Wisconsin cosmetology license renewal process occurs in March every two years. For your cosmetology license renewal, you must pay a fee of $82.00 with a late fee of $25.00 if you submit the renewal application after March.
As a part of requirements for renewal, you must complete all the educational qualifications required including one hour of study in cosmetology laws and three hours of study regarding safety, infection control, and sanitation processes.
How do I prepare for the Wisconsin Cosmetology Exam?
To start your study and exam preparation, you can use our cosmetology exam preparation package.
The packages provide you with an overall guide and the format of the exam papers. The simulated exams will keep you on your feet to be prepared for the real exam.